NBA mock draft roundup: Consensus pick for Celtics is German PG Dennis Schroeder
|06.27.13 at 11:50 am ET|
Celtics fans, you might want to get used to hearing the name Dennis Schroeder.
There are just a few hours left until the 2013 NBA draft, but there is a near consensus among many of the mock drafts done by major outlets — including ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports, The Washington Post, DraftExpress.com and NBAdraft.net — have the Celtics selecting the 6-foot-2, 165-pound point guard from Germany.
Playing with the New Yorker Phantoms Braunschweig as a 19-year-old in Germany this season, Schroeder averaged 11.9 points, 3.3 assists and 2.5 rebounds per game while playing nearly 25 minutes. Some reports indicate that while his size and decision-making capabilities could stand to be improved, scouts are drawn to his 6-foot-8 wingspan ‘ a solid half-foot more than his height.
There are some dissenters, however.
NBA.com has the C’s picking Russian shooting forward Sergey Karasev, a 6-foot-7, 205-pounder. Also 19, the St. Petersburg native is considered a bit more developed than many international prospects.
The Celtics could choose Jamaal Franklin, the way Sports Illustrated’s Chris Mannix sees it. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard led San Diego State in points (16.6), rebounds (9.4), assists (3.3) and steals (1.6) as a junior in 2012-13.
The draft begins at 7:30 p.m. Thursday (ESPN; WEEI-AM 850).
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason