Celtics waive Shavlik Randolph, trim roster to 15
|08.02.13 at 10:14 am ET|
As expected, the Celtics waived Shavlik Randolph on the final day before his $1.1 million contract became guaranteed for the 2013-14 NBA season, trimming the current roster to the requisite 15 players.
After a monster season in China, Randolph averaged 4.2 points and 4.4 rebounds in 12.4 minutes over 16 games for the Celtics last spring, leading many to hope the team could find space for him on the bench again this season.
However, even after second-round pick Colton Iverson reportedly committed to play overseas for a year, the Celtics still needed to trim their roster and salary by one man for the upcoming season.
As currently constituted, the Celtics now feature rookies Kelly Olynyk and Vitor Faverani, sophomores Jared Sullinger and Fab Melo and veterans Brandon Bass and Kris Humphries in the backcourt.
Surely, Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge isn’t done dealing yet, but Randolph’s departure could mean the trade market is a bearish one.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...