Jared Sullinger hopes Rajon Rondo returns by December
|08.26.13 at 10:59 am ET|
Appearing on Ohio’s “Good Day Columbus,” Jared Sullinger offered a different timeline for Rajon Rondo‘s return than the one Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge has stuck to since Rondo’s ACL injury.
“He’s back working out again and hopefully he’ll be back by December,” said Sullinger (h/t MassLive.com).
Both Ainge and new Celtics coach Brad Stevens have consistently indicated that Rondo is on target to be in the starting lineup when the 2013-14 NBA season begins in Toronto on Oct. 30. That isn’t out of the question, considering Rondo suffered a partial tear in his right knee on Jan. 25 and fellow guards Iman Shumpert and Ricky Rubio have returned in similar timeframes. Derrick Rose, obviously, is a different story.
Was this a slip of the tongue by Sullinger? Possibly. He’s told the media in recent months that he’s been in fairly close contact with Rondo ever since their season-ending injuries occurred less than a week apart.
As for Sullinger’s own recovery from season-ending back surgery, he sounded optimistic about his return, yet reluctant to reclaim the starting power forward position he assumed just prior to his injury.
“I’m doing great,” he added. “I work out every day, five days a week. I’m just trying to strengthen up my core and my back. That was the first month. After that, it was full go, back to working out again on the court.”
You’ve also got to love Sullinger’s reaction to the host’s mention of Kris Humphries. Just straight laughing.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...