Danny Ainge wanted Jimmy Chitwood role in Hoosiers
|10.18.13 at 1:08 pm ET|
It’s almost impossible for the 1986 Celtics season to have been any better, but just imagine if they had Jimmy Chitwood on the roster as “Hoosiers” hit theaters that year. If Danny Ainge had his way, it would’ve happened.
“I loved the Boston Celtics,” Maris Valainis, the actor who played the iconic character, told the Beats & Eats podcast. “I remember we actually got to go to a preseason game when they were playing the Pacers. We were just getting started filming, the game was over and Danny Ainge was running off the court. We were kind of courtside, and he looks at me and pointed at me, and he goes, ‘I’m going to take your spot in the movie.’”
Seriously, just think of the added entertainment value of having Jimmy Chitwood calling the shots in the C’s front office. In 2010-11, they would have had Chitwood, Jesus Shuttlesworth and Neon Boudeaux all under one roof. All they would have needed was Scott Howard and Billy Hoyle for the greatest pickup game in basketball history.
Or, if Kobe Bryant hadn’t turned down the “He Got Game” role as he claimed to Sports Illustrated in the latest from the great Lee Jenkins, those 2008 and 2010 NBA Finals would have pitted Chitwood’s Celtics against Shuttlesworth’s Lakers. And my money’s always on Chitwood.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...