Furious fourth quarter comeback falls short as Celtics lose to Grizzlies
|11.27.13 at 9:56 pm ET|
Fresh off a two-game road winning streak, the Celtics proved unable to sustain momentum on their home floor. The C’s were outscored by the Grizzlies, 27-13, in the first quarter, and from there, Memphis cruised until the Celtics mounted a furious fourth-quarter comeback that ultimately proved too little, too late, as the Grizzlies claimed a 100-93 victory.
Memphis led, 90-77, with 2:43 remaining, the game seemingly well in hand. But the Celtics reeled off a frantic 16-6 run to move with three — at 96-93 — when Avery Bradley drained a 3-pointer with 16 seconds remaining. But the Grizzlies bounced back to score the final four points of the game and secure the victory.
Jerryd Bayless led Memphis with a season-high 22 points off the bench, while point guard Mike Conley contributed 14 points and nine assists. The Celtics, in fast, had just five more assists than Conley as a team, on a night where their execution was extremely sloppy.
The Celtics shot a respectable 43 percent from the floor, but they committed 15 turnovers and had just 14 assists. Jeff Green (9-of-19 shooting) led the Celtics with 26 points while Jared Sullinger (10-of-18) contributed 23, but in contrast to the well-balanced scoring efforts at the end of the roadtrip, the Celtics had just three scorers in double figures as they fell to 2-5 at home.
For a box score, click here.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...