Doc Rivers on Boston: ‘It’s such an amazing fan base’
|12.11.13 at 10:56 pm ET|
“I’m still emotional. I though the fans were … it was just a really nice day. It’s just such a classy place here. So, it was really nice when I walked out — and I’m not used to walking out on that side — and all those people lined up. I was basically useless for the first 18 minutes of the game, I thought.
“It was just nice. It didn’t surprise me, because that’s just the way they are. You’ve got to live here to understand it. It’s an amazing fan base. It really is. And I just want everything to go well for them.
“That was hard. That was hard. Every time they were taking the ball out, one of their guys — Jeff [Green] and everyone — was talking to you, and you’re trying to keep focus. It’s funny. I told my coaches I needed halftime far more than the players, and I think they sensed that. You could see at halftime CP [Chris Paul] was like, ‘We got it. We got it.’ He kept saying that. So, I think they sensed that a little bit from me, and that was nice.
“I’ll tell you: Boy, this is such a neat place. I tell people all the time — people don’t get Boston. They really don’t. They don’t understand. And I think you have to be a part of it to get it. I really do. I don’t think you can get it from the outside. It’s just a special, different place. People are born here and raised here, and they cheer for their teams, and they love their athletes. And it’s just a great place to be. The best decision I ever made was 10 years ago, when I decided to come. That was the best decision I ever made.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...