Rajon Rondo taking it all in stride as he continues to work back to game action
|12.28.13 at 12:41 pm ET|
The quickness and agility appear to be there. The jump shot appears to be there. The side-to-side strength and conditioning appear in place.
As rumors from New York continue that the Knicks are very interested in acquiring him, Rajon Rondo looks like a player that could break through his rehab from ACL surgery and return to game action any time.
Rondo, as he has done for the last two weeks, worked with strength and conditioning coach Bryan Doo before Saturday afternoon’s game with the Cavaliers at TD Garden.
On Saturday, Rondo spent 30 minutes getting fed passes from assistant coach Jay Larranaga from the top of the key and pivoting to his spot, before releasing a good-looking jumper from mid-range and 3-point range. After 20 minutes of shooting, Rondo strapped on a conditioning cord belt and moved side to side with Doo, working on his lateral movement and strengthening the knee, hamstring and quad.
Then, perhaps most encouraging of all, Rondo got into a defensive position and went back-and-forth, jumping up on Doo, who was dribbling the ball.
All of this is tempered by the fact that Rondo indicated this week that there’s a chance he won’t return to game action until February. Rondo is clearly aware of the time it took Derrick Rose to return from his ACL tear against Philadelphia in the 2012 playoffs and Ricky Rubio cautioned earlier in December that it took him a while to get back into game-ready action, both physically and mentally after a similar injury.
Rondo injured his right ACL last January in Atlanta and hasn’t played since.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...