Those pesky Rajon Rondo to New York Knicks trade rumors won’t go away
|02.09.14 at 1:10 pm ET|
Apparently the New York Knicks don’t want to believe Danny Ainge.
A report in the USA Today indicates that the Knicks, who stand 20-30 heading into Sunday, still believe they can pry away superstar point guard Rajon Rondo for the right package.
Part of their desperation, Sam Amick’s report suggests, has to do with the desire to keep another superstar – Carmelo Anthony – from bolting Broadway.
“The Knicks have a strong belief that he can be had,” Amick writes.
Amick points out the Knicks can offer Amar’e Stoudemire, who has one season remaining after this one, at $23.4 million, while also taking future money back, i.e. Gerald Wallace (two years/$20 million) and/or Jeff Green (two years/$18.4 million). This would help Ainge clear the way for the summer of 2015 when he can add free agents to a possibly lottery pick or two.
The Knicks can’t offer any first round draft picks until 2018 but they could include point guard Raymond Felton, promising young swingman Iman Shumpert and rookie Tim Hardaway Jr.
Earlier this season it was reported that Anthony was trying to lure Rondo, a former teammate at Oak Hill Academy, to the Knicks.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason