Irish Coffee: James Young’s love of cheeseburgers, other things we learned from Celtics rookie photo shoot
|08.04.14 at 11:07 am ET|
Once you’ve digested the photos above courtesy of the league’s various social media channels, let’s take a look at some of the highlights from Smart and Young’s contributions to the rookie class AMA on Reddit.
- When asked who they believe will be Rookie of the Year , Smart said, “Me,” and Young added, “It’s hard to say since we haven’t played any games. But I would like to say myself.” Unfortunately, both can’t be right.
- What will Young have to give up to succeed in the NBA? “Eating cheeseburgers daily.” His favorite food, of course, is a “bacon cheeseburger.” Somewhere, a single tear falls on Mike Sweetney’s empty burger wrapper.
- “Mahcus Smaht” is pretty much the first thing Marcus Smart heard upon arriving in Boston.
- Smart and Young believe their NBA 2K ratings will be 78 and 73, respectively. For the record, Goran Dragic and Klay Thompson were respectively rated 78 and 73 in NBA 2K14. Says Smart, “If I’m a 60 or below I’m going to be upset. Adds Young, “I’d be in a down mood if I were something like a 69. Ha.”
- Smart’s favorite class: “Sociology.” In related news, his favorite part of Boston: “the fans.” Smart, indeed.
- Young previously said he models his game after James Harden. Apparently, the Rockets guard is also who he’s most looking forward to facing. The non-Celtics player Young would most like to see on his team, though: “Kevin Durant. I play with him all the time in 2K.” Make it happen, Danny Ainge.
- Smart says five teams will regret passing on him because of his “defense and playmaking ability.”
- How will Rajon Rondo‘s presence affect Smart’s development? “It’s going to help me tremendously. He’s been playing in the NBA for a long time and knows what it takes to win a championship. I respect his strong defense and leadership. He has a commanding presence that you have to respect.” Young and smart is right.
In an interview with SiriusXM NBA Radio, Smart reiterated his excitement about developing under Rondo, calling him “a premier point guard.” Smart also said he didn’t get comfortable in summer league until the penultimate game. In his final two summer league games, he shot 34.4 percent from the field. Don’t get too comfortable, apparently.
Speaking of comfort, the photo shoot marked the first time Smart donned an official Celtics jersey. It felt good.
“You’re not used to hearing Boston Celtics in the lottery, but it worked out perfect for me,” Smart told SiriusXM NBA Radio. “I’m able to go to a franchise that is at the top when you speak about basketball — 17 banners , the most retired jerseys — and it’s an honor to put on this Boston Celtics uniform.”
Enough about cheeseburgers. Let’s watch Smart and Young dunk and dance.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...