Isaiah Thomas rips DeMarcus Cousins trade
|02.20.17 at 3:09 pm ET|
Add Isaiah Thomas to the list of critics who are unimpressed with the package the Kings received in return for DeMarcus Cousins.
Moments after the All-Star Game, the Kings traded Cousins to the Pelicans Sunday night. New Orleans sent over Buddy Hield, Tyreke Evans, Langston Galloway, a 2017 first-round pick and a 2017 second-rounder to Sacramento. It’s a weak return, considering Cousins is arguably a Top 10 player in the league. The three-time All-Star has recorded 34 double-doubles in 55 contests this season.
Thomas, who was teammates with Cousins in Sacramento, appears dumbfounded by the move.
I don’t even think @NBA2K would let that trade happen even with the trade override option off LOL
— Isaiah Thomas (@Isaiah_Thomas) February 20, 2017
For the record, Thomas is correct. NBA 2K17’s virtual general manager did reject the trade.
The Celtics reportedly didn’t try to acquire Cousins, despite at least two years of rumors linking the two of them. Cousins, 26, is due to be a free agent in 2018. The Pelicans will likely offer Cousins a five-year, $180 million contract in order to keep him in New Orleans.
When asked about Cousins last October, Thomas praised his talented, yet mercurial former teammate.
“If he came to Boston, that would be good, really good,” he told the Sporting News. “The thing is, I’ve got his respect. I’ve always had that.”
With control of the Nets’ next two first-round picks, the Celtics have plenty of assets if they want to give Thomas another running mate before Thursday’s trade deadline.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...