Celtics rumors: C’s reportedly not closing door on acquiring Carmelo Anthony from Knicks
|02.22.17 at 1:33 pm ET|
The Celtics haven’t ruled out bringing Melo to Boston.
According to ESPN’s Ian Begley, the C’s remain in contact with the Knicks over superstar small forward Carmelo Anthony.
The 32-year-old 10-time All-Star is on the block as the Knicks contemplate rebuilding around Kristaps Porzingis. Anthony has a no-trade clause, and there are reports he’d exercise it just to stick it to New York hoops boss Phil Jackson, but earlier reports pegged the Celtics as a contender he’d consider joining.
Any deal for Anthony would start with Celtics big men Tyler Zeller and Amir Johnson, whose contracts would be required to make the money work. The C’s would then be attempting to entice the Knicks with non-Brooklyn draft picks that will probably be in the 20s.
If the Celtics land Anthony, they’ll be taking themselves out of the free agent market this summer, when players like Utah swingman Gordon Hayward could be available. Anthony is in the third year of a five-year, $124 million contract that includes an early termination option that he could exercise to become a free agent after next season.
I wrote about Anthony recently and why I’d love to see him in Celtics green, despite his issues as an aging ball-hog.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...