|Doc Rivers’ son schools NBA top pick||08.29.10 at 12:37 pm ET|
Wondering how good Austin Rivers, son of Celtics coach Doc Rivers, is? Despite the fact he is going to be a senior in high school, Rivers is already showing the best of the NBA best a thing or two. In this case, Rivers does his thing to John Wall, the top pick in this year’s NBA Draft. First he tortures the No. 1 pick with a cross-over, and then he picks him clean. Check it out:
|Rondo withdraws from Team USA||08.24.10 at 1:46 pm ET|
According to a press release issued by USA Basketball, Celtics guard Rajon Rondo has withdrawn his name from consideration for the final spot on Team USA, who will begin their participation in the World Championships Saturday night in Istanbul.
“Rajon came to us and said he was going to withdraw from the team, that he had some family matters to attend to and some things to take care of before the NBA season. He did an outstanding job during our training, we appreciate the effort and commitment he made to our program and he completely has our support,” said USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo in the release.
Rondo was believed to be teetering on being the team’s final cut, telling ESPN.com Tuesday, “I think I’m on the bubble. Just looking at the obvious — I got a DNP last game. That pretty much speaks for itself.” His starting role had been taken over by Derrick Rose, with Russell Westbrook moving into the backup point guard position.
The final 12-man roster for Team USA is as follows: Chauncey Billups, Tyson Chandler, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Rudy Gay, Eric Gordon, Danny Granger, Andre Iguodala, Kevin Love, Lamar Odom, Rose, and Westbrook.
For more Celtics coverage see the team page at weei.com/celtics.
|House: Heat will be ‘Boston on steroids’||08.22.10 at 10:27 pm ET|
“That stung a little bit,” House said. “When you feel like you’re a main part of what the team is doing and you’re on a mission, to get the rug pulled out from under you and get sent to a team that has no shot … that kind of hurt.”
The guard said that even though Celtics coach Doc Rivers told him the trade to New York for Nate Robinson was likely to happen on the morning of Feb. 18, House still insisted on practicing with the team just in case there was a glitch in the last-minute paperwork.
House, who signed a two-year deal worth $2.8 with the Heat this offseason, noted that what awaits the dynamic with Chris Bosh, Dwayne Wade, and LeBron James all playing together in Miami dwarfs even what the Celtics experienced heading into the 2007-08 season.
“I compare it to the year I went to Boston when the Big 3 got together in 2007,” House said. “But this is going to be even bigger. This is going to be Boston on steroids.”
|Delonte West gets 10-game suspension for gun incident||08.20.10 at 4:18 pm ET|
Guard Delonte West has been suspended without pay for ten games for pleading guilty to carrying a concealed weapon and wearing, carrying, and transporting a handgun, in violation of the law of the State of Maryland, the NBA announced today. West, who played last season for the Cavaliers, is currently a free agent. If West ‘ who played with the Celtics from 2004 through 2007 ‘ signs a contract to play again in the NBA, West’s suspension will begin with the first game of the NBA regular season for which he is eligible and physically able to play.
|Dr. Shaquille O’Neal: ‘I’m done with the nicknames’||08.14.10 at 10:43 am ET|
Hold off on the nickname search for Dr. O’Neal.
In an interview with the New York Times, new Celtic Shaquille O’Neal said that he is working on his doctorate at Barry University and once that degree is obtained he no longer wants to be called “Shaq” and that he is no longer in the business of crafting nicknames for himself.
“I’m done with the nicknames,” O’Neal said. “Actually, when I obtain my doctorate, I will not allow people to call me Shaq anymore, either.”
Also of note in the interview:
- - The last time he “panicked” was as a 9-year-old when he tried lighting the tail of a teddy bear on fire. “My thing was to just light the tail and then blow it out and laugh. Ha, ha. But as soon as I lit the tail, the whole thing caught on fire. It almost caught the house on fire. I got the whooping of my life,” O’Neal explained in the interview.
- - His goal is to pass Wilt Chamberlain in scoring and win at least one more championship.
- - He hasn’t spoken with LeBron James since James signed with the Heat.
- - The topic for his dissertation will be ‘How Leaders Utilize Humor or Aggression in Leadership Styles.’
|Slide Show: Shaquille O’Neal Press Conference||08.10.10 at 2:09 pm ET|
WALTHAM — WEEI.com’s traditional slideshow format has been hijacked by the Big Diesel, and as such, we give you the Shaq Show. The 38-year-old center was introduced to Boston and the media on Tuesday, and everything from Shaq’s bow-tie to his excitement as he held up his No. 36 was certainly something worth checking out again. All photos are courtesy of WEEI.com photographer John Vu. Click on the image below to begin the slideshow.
|VOTE: Is Shaq a good fit for C’s?||08.05.10 at 11:09 am ET|
There have been reports that the Celtics front office was not unanimous in its support of the signing of free agent center Shaquille O’Neal. How about the fans? Cast your vote in support of or opposition to the move.
Do you support the Celtics' signing of Shaquille O'Neal?
- Yes, I love it so much that I'm going to celebrate by watching "Kazaam" (49%, 196 Votes)
- OK, it's worth the risk, but I have reservations (44%, 178 Votes)
- Meh, I would have preferred to pass but can live with it (4%, 16 Votes)
- No, this is the wrong move for the C's (2%, 10 Votes)
- I don't know, but I like to vote on things (1%, 4 Votes)
Total Voters: 404
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?