|Celtics on eBay: Red Auerbach’s signed cigar||08.19.11 at 4:55 pm ET|
It’s time to take you into the weekend with the latest edition of Celtics on eBay, which has now had four different names in four different weeks. Basically we ask, “Would you pay [a pretty penny] for [current or former member of the Celtics]’ [eBay item]?” Confusing enough? Good. Let’s get started.
This might be the first thing I would actually buy. It’s a cigar. Signed by Red Auerbach. The greatest basketball coach in the history of basketball coaches (well, other than M.L. Carr). For 310 bucks. …
Or is it? I just spent an hour trying to figure out if the guy pictured signing the cigar is actually Red Auerbach or not. I still can’t decide. Either way, I still might buy it.
Want to waste more time this weekend? Vote on these overpriced/awesome Celtics items from previous weeks:
|Your Daily Rajon Rondo Update: On Alcatraz||08.19.11 at 1:26 pm ET|
Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo is heading to Alcatraz, and it has nothing to do with his buddy Kendrick Perkins‘ not guilty plea to public intoxication charges. But it does have a little to do with his thieving ways.
After Red Bull donated $500 for each of his 153 steals this past season ($76,500) to refurbish 13 Boston basketball courts, Rondo’s next endeavor associated with the energy drink company is hosting the second annual Red Bull King of the Rock 1-on-1 basketball tournament, scheduled to conclude on Sept. 24.
Last year’s tourney on the prison yard marked the first official sporting event ever held on The Rock. This year, 64 qualifiers from 22 U.S. cities and 12 other countries will compete for the title. Boston native Tony Lee won the New England qualifier, earning $1,000 and a trip to Alcatraz along with runner-up Marius Bausys of Lithuania.
The 25-year-old Lee captured three state championships as an All-Scholastic performer for the Charlestown High basketball team. From there, the 6-foot, 205-pound guard played four seasons at Robert Morris University, capturing conference player of the year honors as a senior after setting career rebounds and single-season assists records for the Colonials.
Lee told SLAM that he’s seeking a job after recently playing in Austria, and maybe his performance on The Rock will help further that cause. His interview with SLAM is pretty classic. I especially enjoyed this exchange: Read the rest of this entry »
|Hypothetical 2011-12 Celtics preseason schedule||08.18.11 at 2:29 pm ET|
The NBA announced a preseason schedule that would begin Oct. 9. Let’s just say the likelihood of this schedule actually taking place as scheduled is up in the air. Keep your popcorn unpopped. Anyhow, here’s the hypothetical preseason schedule for the Celtics …
- Oct. 10: 76ers at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (Dunkin’ Donuts Center, Providence, R.I.)
- Oct. 15: Knicks at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (Times Union Center, Albany, N.Y.)
- Oct. 16: Celtics at Raptors, 6 p.m. (Air Canada Centre, Toronto, Ont.)
- Oct. 19: Celtics at 76ers, 7 p.m. (Mullins Center, Amherst, Mass.)
- Oct. 21: Raptors at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, Mass.)
- Oct. 22: Knicks at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (XL Center, Hartford, Conn.)
- Oct. 24: Celtics at Nets, 7:30 p.m. (Prudential Center, Newark, N.J.)
- Oct. 26: Nets at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (TD Garden, Boston, Mass.)
Please note that the venue for each game does not necessarily dictate which team is considered the home team.
|Kevin Garnett loves playing table tennis||08.18.11 at 1:18 pm ET|
Not much needs to be said about this brief video from China Central Television of Celtics forward Kevin Garnett towering over his Chinese fans, throwing down dunks and getting schooled in table tennis, other than the fact that KG appears to be having an amazing time on the second leg of his Anta promotional tour — in Wuhan, the capital of China’s Hubei province and the most populous city in Central China.
Here are some pictures of Garnett’s trip (courtesy of CCTV), followed by some Celtics links:
|President Obama: Why doesn’t Ray Allen teach Rajon Rondo to shoot?||08.17.11 at 12:02 pm ET|
An excerpt of Jackie MacMullan‘s forthcoming biography of Shaquille O’Neal, entitled “Shaq Uncut,” provides some insight into why Rajon Rondo may have struggled after the trade of his close friend and Celtics teammate Kendrick Perkins — and the reason will come as a surprise.
According to the excerpt, published by SLAM Online, a joke by President Barack Obama during a fundraiser on March 8 at Boston’s Museum of Fine Arts may have sent Rondo into a tailspin. Here’s the passage in its entirety:
|10 Things I Heard About Celtics II||08.16.11 at 12:07 pm ET|
On another slow Celtics news day, there’s still plenty to learn about Boston’s green men. Here are 10 more C’s links of interest we discovered over the past 24 hours (the first “10 Things I Heard About Celtics” is here) ‘¦
10. As SLAM noted, Celtics free agents and Louisiana natives Glen Davis and Von Wafer both made the top five plays from this past weekend’s Tournament of the Stars Basketball Clinic in Lake Charles, La. Big Baby’s post-clutch-3-pointer “big balls” dance is an instance classic, as is Wafer’s posterization. Both players would like to remain in Boston once the NBA lockout ends, and Wafer has already signed a one-year deal to play in Italy.
9. While every other NBA player tosses his name into the overseas rumor mill, Celtics captain Paul Pierce is content with his hobbies on vacation. Lakers guard Kobe Bryant‘s agents have been busy shopping him everywhere from China to Brazil, but Pierce can’t get enough poker, fishing and scheduling volunteer work — promoting his Truth on Health campaign on HGTV by making over his hometown Inglewood (Calif.) High’s athletic facilities on Aug. 20 and bowling with Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett and Celtics free agent Glen Davis in the 5th Annual Beckett Bowl on Aug. 29.
Of course, Pierce will play overseas — for his country. He and Timberwolves forward Michael Beasley will help form a United States All-Star team at the Continental Club Championships in Beijing from Aug. 20-28. Somehow I doubt Pierce will be earning $375,000 or whatever it is Bryant is seeking per week for his China sojourn. Read the rest of this entry »
|Celtics eBay Friday: Arnie Risen’s 1957 Celtics contract||08.12.11 at 12:00 pm ET|
After the raging success of our new running feature, we’ll continue with the third edition of Celtics eBay Fridays, taking you into the weekend with a poll question along these lines: “Would you pay [ridiculous amount] for [current or former member of the Celtics]’ [eBay item]?” Confusing enough? Good. Let’s get started.” (Ok, it’s not a raging success. It’s more of a mild-to-apathetic response.)
Two weeks ago, we featured Celtics guard Ray Allen‘s Air Jordans, and the people let their voice be heard: 160-of-267 voters said “Hell no!” they wouldn’t buy the Nike Air Jordan VIII sneakers for $1,450.
Then, Celtics eBay Fridays earned international acclaim last week when former UMass standout Tony Gaffney — now playing in Germany via a short stint with the Celtics — weighed in and denied the 1-carat diamond earrings and “autographed” receipts being sold for $3,950 under his name were actually his. Still, with that knowledge, 6-of-90 people said “Hell yes!” they would buy the overpriced jewelry. Not to mention Gaffney gave Celtics eBay Fridays his seal of approval: “This is kinda funny.” (Ok, it’s not a full-blown approval, but we’ll take it.)
Now, without further ado, let’s move on to this week’s Celtics eBay Friday item and poll question of the week. Someone is selling an original contract signed by Arnie Risen, who averaged 8.0 points on 38.8 percent shooting and 1.2 assists per game as a member of the 1957 NBA champion Celtics (their first of 17!).
While Kevin Garnett made $235,000 per game for the Celtics this past season, Risen made 50 bucks a game, so it would make sense that Arnie himself would be selling his old contract for $1,200. Except for the fact it’s advertised as Artie Risen’s signed contract, although he is 86 years old. I guess we’ll never really know, since I’ll assume he won’t pull a Tony Gaffney and comment on this blog over the weekend. Anywho, onto the question …
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?