|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Kentucky SG Archie Goodwin||06.21.13 at 5:47 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
Position: Shooting guard
Weight: 198 pounds
Achievements: SEC All-Freshman Team (2013)
Key 2012-13 stats: 14.1 points, 4.6 rebounds, 2.7 assists
What he brings: With a 6-foot-9 wingspan, Goodwin possesses great defensive potential that has SB Nation comparing him to Tony Allen. He was a very strong perimeter defender in college and can guard both guard positions due to his size and quickness. He averaged 1.1 steals per game last season.
Offensively, Goodwin has an elite first step and good ballhandling skills that helps him get around perimeter defenders. However, he struggles as an outside shooter, and only made 26.6 percent of his shots from 3-point range last season. Goodwin is young and is still growing as a player, but he is not a good shooter right now.
Notes: Goodwin led the SEC in free throw attempts with 212, although he made only 135 (63.7 percent). … He led Sylvan Hills High School to the Arkansas Class 5A state championship in 2012, earning tournament MVP honors in the process. He was named Gatorade Arkansas High School Player of the Year twice and was a member of the McDonald’s All-America team.
Video: Here is a highlight video of Goodwin in a matchup against Vanderbilt last season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...