|Cavs Wallace breaks leg||02.27.09 at 12:37 am ET|
Kevin Garnett’s injury could have created a window of opportunity for the Cleveland Cavaliers to pull ahead in the Eastern Conference. But now they too are down a starter. On Thursday night forward Ben Wallace broke his right leg during a 19-point loss the Houston Rockets. TNT’s David Aldridge reported Wallace will miss 8-10 weeks.
This injury is a blow to the Cavaliers front court. Wallace, 34, is one of the most experienced players on the team. Instead of having his veteran leadership down the stretch, the Cavaliers will have to rely on J.J. Hickson to step up in his rookie season. Wallace was averaging 6.7 rebounds, 3.0 points, and 24.3 minutes per game this season. Hickson is averaging 4.5 points and 2.9 boards in 12.2 minutes per game.
The Celtics will play the Cavaliers next Friday, March 6 in Boston.
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden
- Doc Rivers On His Exit: 'I Didn't Like The Way It Played Out'
- Reunion week part 2 - Doc Rivers returns to the Garden with his Clippers...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/11
- Grantland's one-on-one interview with Brad Stevens: Steez, Ties, and Math
- Doc, Defense, and Lob City - Q&A with Clips Nation's Steve Perin
- KG and Pierce look fine, C's fall to Nets 96 - 104