|NBA sets social media guidelines||09.30.09 at 11:57 pm ET|
Detroit Pistons forward Charlie Villanueva brought social media to the forefront in the NBA last season when he tweeted from the locker room during halftime as a member of the Milwaukee Bucks. Within a period of months countless players around the league, including Ray Allen, Paul Pierce, and Marquis Daniels, have adopted this trend. Some have even used sites like Twitter as an outlet to break their own news. In response, the NBA has released a set of guidelines heading into the 2009-10 season.
The NBA formally announced its new social media guidelines Wednesday, informing teams through a league memorandum that the use of cell phones, PDAs and other electronic communications devices — and thus accessing Twitter, Facebook and similar social media sites — is now prohibited during games for players, coaches and other team personnel involved in the game.
The league has defined “during games” as the period of time beginning 45 minutes before the opening tip and ending “after the postgame locker room is open to the media and coaches and players have first fulfilled their obligation to be available to media attending the game.”
“During games” also encompasses halftime, according to the memo, but the new guidelines do allow players to engage in social networking during the pregame media ccess period that starts 90 minutes before tipoff and lasts for 45 minutes.
Coaches and team executives are expected to largely welcome the league’s edict, as they generally frown upon mobile-phone use in the locker room and on team buses, although the severity of restrictions generally vary from team to team given the rise in recent years in texting and e-mailing from handheld devices.
The league’s announcement also included the expected caveat that teams “are free to adopt their own rules relating to the use of electronic communication devices and social media sites and services during practices, meetings and other team events.”
|Celtics Media Day Wrap Up||09.28.09 at 11:34 pm ET|
Rajon Rondo will become a restricted free agent next summer if the Celtics do not sign him to a contract extension by October. On Monday he was tight-lipped when it came to business, suggesting any questions could be answered by his agent, Bill Duffy. ‘I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t really think about it,’ Rondo said. ‘I try to just focus on camp. If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen. If not, I’ll play it out.’ He reiterated that he will play wherever he is wanted and that his main focus is getting another ring. … Rondo, 23, gained 11 pounds this summer ‘because I’m growing up.’ He trained with a new weight-lifting routine, ate three meals a day, and cut fast food from his diet. He also plans on hiring a chef.
Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge would like to keep Rondo around as the team’s point guard for the next 10 years and has had early talks with his agent about future plans. He has not, however, had discussions with Ray Allen about his expiring contract and will not address that issue publicly. … Ainge has high expectations for the upcoming season. He believes the offseason moves and returning talent will be successful. ‘We’ve added some great depth, our young players are improving, and Rondo, Perk and Glen Davis, they made great strides last year and I think they’re even going to better this year as their games are maturing. I think that Rasheed [Wallace] and Marquis [Daniels] give us two more starters, proven starters, that are coming off the bench for us that should give us a lot of depth,’ Ainge said.
Paul Pierce is making his confidence in the Celtics perfectly clear. He believes they are the best team in the league when healthy, pointing out they were on a record-breaking pace last season prior to injuries. ‘People are going to say what they want to say about my comments or whatever, but I have total confidence in this ball club,’ he said. … Even though Doc Rivers would prefer to cut back on the veterans’ minutes this season, Pierce refuses to sacrifice playing time for wins. ‘I’m not willing to lose nothing. Next question. I don’t understand that, losing. No.’ … He compared seeing Kevin Garnett back on the court for 5-on-5 drills as a ‘breath of fresh air.’
Ray Allen kicked off media day with some humor while waiting for Pierce to join him and Garnett at the podium. Allen grabbed the microphone to locate his teammate: ‘Paul Pierce. Paul Pierce. Your food is ready.’ … The Celtics’ window of opportunity to win a championship has been mentioned since they acquired veterans Allen and Garnett. Allen, though, is more focused on the here-and-now than two or three years down the road. ‘We don’t look at a window. We’re not looking past this year. We can’t look past this year,’ he said. … Allen is not concerned with adding a player like Rasheed Wallace to the mix. He pointed out many of them have known Wallace since high school and the Celtics have already learned each other’s game.
Kendrick Perkins is heading into training camp 15 pounds lighter than last season and is down to 270 pounds, his lightest total in three years. Perkins did not have a weight-loss regimen but rather trimmed down during his workouts. … His shoulder, which he has dislocated in the past, feels better than it has ‘in a while.’ Perkins noted he is not worried about suffering another injury and is feeling strong. … The big man has been impressed by Wallace on and off the court. Even though he did not know what to expect at first ‘ ‘I didn’t know. I was just waiting to see. It was kind of like scary for a moment,’ he said ‘ Perkins praised Wallace’s versatile game and pointed out he is a great addition to the locker room.
Click here to listen to audio clips from media day.
|Garnett: I’m going full blast||at 5:30 pm ET|
WALTHAM — Last season a knee injury kept him off the court. This time around, there is no holding him back.
‘I’m going full blast,’ Kevin Garnett said. ‘I don’t think when you get in camp you go half-[way] with anything like that. But Doc (Rivers) and I have talked about time, taking it easy, listening to (Celtics trainer) Ed (Lacerte), the doctors, and what they’re telling me so I’m being patient with that.’
In a rare occurrence Garnett sat at the end of the stage with a group of reporters during the Boston Celtics Media Day. The generally private player was inviting and happy to share the positive results from his knee surgery.
The bone spur was originally thought to be a few inches, he later explained as he picked up a voice recorder to demonstrate the size. As it turns out, it was closer to the length of a microphone resting on the table. Nonetheless, his recovery is on schedule.
‘I feel pretty good,” he said. “I’ve been off for a minute. I don’t really like to take time off but it was for a good reason. My leg is right on schedule to where it’s supposed to be and mentally I’m refreshed. I think everybody is.’
Garnett has already begun participating in five-on-five drills with his teammate. While he admitted he has a little less energy than usual, he said he maintained his timing during offseason workouts and compared it to being as routine as riding a bike.
Besides, Garnett has already had more time on the sidelines than he could ever ask for.
‘None of the basketball we played last year that I had to watch was pleasant for me,’ he said. ‘I did it. I sat on the side because my teammates wanted me to sit on the bench. Other than that, it was pure excruciating.’
|Report: Rondo would be happy to stay in Boston||09.22.09 at 11:06 pm ET|
Sports Illustrated recently caught up with Rajon Rondo to discuss hot topics surrounding the upcoming season, including the return of Kevin Garnett, the addition of Rasheed Wallace, and the possible outcomes of his current contract situation. As long as the Boston Celtics want Rondo on their team, he told SI he’d be happy to stick around:
SI.com: You could sign a contract extension this fall or you could test free agency next summer when a number of teams will be looking to buy talent. Is that an enticing possibility?
RR: That could be, but it’s still early so I’ve got some time to see how things settle in Boston. If it doesn’t, I’ll play out the fourth year and see how things go next summer.
SI.com: Is it safe to assume you’d prefer to stay with the Celtics?
RR: If the Celtics want me, then I’d be happy to stay.
Click here for the rest of the interview.
|Scalabrine plays it safe||09.21.09 at 12:24 am ET|
After suffering three concussions in less than a month last season, Brian Scalabrine wants to play it safe. That’s why he chose not to play at all this summer.
‘I didn’t play any basketball,’ Scalabrine told WEEI.com last week at the USI Shamrock Classic. ‘I didn’t want to risk getting a concussion in that environment. So I just didn’t play any basketball and then I’ve been playing since I got back here.’
The Celtics forward began playing basketball nearly three weeks ago when he returned from Washington to Boston for the upcoming season. Up until that point he had been following the training routine outlined by the team’s strength and conditioning coach, Bryan Doo.
Scalabrine suffered a series of concussions over the course of a month last January through February. The first came on January 25 when he was dealt a blow to the chin by Dirk Nowitzki in a game against the Dallas Mavericks. Two days later he banged his head during practice. Scalabrine returned the next month only to suffer a neck injury, one that he would later say was ‘99 percent’ caused by a concussion, during a February 23 game against the Denver Nuggets. Doctors later determined he had postconcussion syndrome.
He missed the remainder of the regular season and returned for the playoffs sporting a protective headband.
While these injuries kept Scalabrine off the courts this summer, he won’t let them hold him back this season.
‘We’re just going to take it day by day and see what happens,’ he said. ‘The only time you’re really going to know is until you take a blow. It’s going to happen one time or another, just how I respond to it is going to be key.’
|Former Celtic West arrested on weapons charges||09.18.09 at 3:39 pm ET|
“According to the police report, West was charged with at least two counts of handgun on person, and for driving the vehicle in excess of reasonable and prudent speed. He was pulled over on his motorcycle in Upper Marlboro, Md. on I-495.
WUSA, a television station in Washington D.C., reported that West was pulled over at 10 p.m. Thursday for making an unsafe lane change on his motorcycle. The station reported that police said West had two handguns and a shotgun in his possession and was arrested.“
The Plain Dealer reported West was released and is scheduled for a court appearance on November 20.
West was drafted by the Celtics with the 24th pick in the 2004 NBA Draft. He was traded to the Seattle SuperSonics as part of the Ray Allen deal before being dealt to the Cleveland Cavaliers. Last season he averaged 11.7 points and 3.5 assists for the Cavs.
|Celtics raise over $150,000 in charity golf tournament||at 12:40 pm ET|
The Boston Celtics teed off for charity before they tipped off the regular season.
On Thursday current and former players along with members of the organization raised over $150,000 in the Shamrock Foundation’s second annual USI Shamrock Classic, presented by Consolidated Printing, at Nashawtuc Country Club in Concord, MA.
Ray Allen, Glen Davis, Brian Scalabrine, Bill Walker, and J.R. Giddens, head coach Doc Rivers, and President of Basketball Operations Danny Ainge were among those who participated. They were joined by former Celtics Tommy Heinsohn, Bob Cousy and Dana Barros, as well as co-owners Wyc Grousbeck, Stephen Pagliuca, and Bob Epstein.
“It was a great day at Nashawtuc and even better day for the many children who are supported by the Shamrock Foundation,” Pagliuca said in a team statement. “We are very thankful to our sponsors and donors who supported this event. This support means even more in today’s tough economy.”
Allen added, “My teammates and I enjoyed playing golf to aid these wonderful charities. Thank you to everyone that contributed to the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation.”
All proceeds from the event, which included a live and silent auction, went toward the to the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation, benefiting Perkins School for the Blind, Boston Children’s, Horizons for Homeless Children, the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (MSPCC), and Berklee College of Music.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason