|Grousbeck: KG is feeling great||06.03.09 at 2:36 pm ET|
- Wyc: “I saw KG this morning, he’s feeling great and he’s the most fired up he’s ever been. For KG, that’s saying something.”
- Ray on NBA’s International growth: “We enjoyed Rome for training camp. We enjoy playing overseas in bigger arenas; fans are just as crazy.”
- Ray: “Anytime I’m in the gym, somebody runs down to rebound for me. They’ve built a great team (off court) so we can focus on basketball.”
|Tony Allen undergoes surgery||at 10:10 am ET|
BOSTON, MA ‘ The Boston Celtics announced today that guard Tony Allen underwent successful arthroscopic right ankle surgery and posterior tibial tendon repair today at the New England Baptist Hospital. Surgery was performed by Team Physician Dr. Brian McKeon and assisted by Dr. Mark Slovenkai and Jason Rand, PAC. Full recovery is expected with return by training camp this fall.
|High flying action to hold you over||at 12:32 am ET|
After non-stop hoops through the first three rounds of the playoffs, the stretch before Game 1 of NBA Finals can seem like four weeks rather than four days. The good news is, there is still some high flying action to enjoy before the Los Angeles Lakers and Orlando Magic get underway on Thursday,
The NBA and Sprite are searching for the best dunker to compete in the Sprite Slam Dunk Showdown during the 2010 All-Star Weekend. Contests are being held in eight cities around the country and each winner will receive $1,000. In addition, LeBron James and a panel of judges will select two winners from a pool of online video submissions.
Once those 10 dunkers have been selected, fans will vote on four contestants to go to Dallas for All-Star Weekend and compete for $10,000 and a spot in the 2010 NBA Slam Dunk Contest.
Click here to watch the winners from Atlanta, Los Angeles, Portland, and San Francisco. Check out the Bay Area’s winner, Guy Dupuy, who throws down a windmill over six people. Submit your own videos at www.nba.com/dunk.
|Report: Kings to make head coach decision ‘pretty quickly’||06.02.09 at 11:42 am ET|
The Sacramento Kings are looking to make a decision on their head coaching vacancy ‘pretty quickly,’ according to Sam Amick of the Sacramento Bee. The organization interviewed Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis on Monday, days after interviewing Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau for the position. They are reportedly interested in former Celtic Paul Westphal.
“They’re great candidates, all three of them,” Kings co-owner Joe Maloof told the Bee. “They’re all really good, so we’ll have to circle back with (President) Geoff (Petrie) a little later and see what he thinks. ‘¦ We’ll have a decision pretty quickly.”
Earlier this week, the Bee reported Westphal is the leading candidate. Even though Thibodeau has proven postseason experience as an assistant, Amick points out Petrie had specific criteria in mind at the beginning of the job search:
‘The mere presence of Thibodeau goes against Petrie’s initial outline of the parameters, as he had called for coaches with ‘some level of success’ as an NBA head coach. Rambis’ 24-13 record as a head coach qualifies, but comes nowhere close to Westphal’s 267-159 record.’
|Report: Thibodeau not Kings top candidate||05.31.09 at 10:20 pm ET|
After the Philadelphia 76ers hired Eddie Jordan as head coach, Boston assistant coach Tom Thibodeau met with the Sacramento Kings in Las Vegas this weekend regarding their head coaching vacancy. Thibodeau, however, is not the top candidate, according to the Sacramento Bee. The Bee reported former Celtic Paul Westphal is the top prospect, followed by LA Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis.
Celtics President Danny Ainge advocated for Thibodeau, telling the Bee, “[He] should be a part of any (current) coaching search.” Ainge also promoted his former coach Westphal, who he played for as a member of the Phoenix Suns –“I’m a big fan of Paul Westphal. He understands people, and he understands personalities, and he has a very, very creative basketball mind. ”
Thibodeau is the only candidate of the pool without head coaching experience.
|Sixers pass on Thibodeau||05.29.09 at 11:49 pm ET|
The Philadelphia 76ers have passed on Celtics assistant coach Tom Thibodeau and hired former Washington Wizards head coach Eddie Jordan to fill their head coaching position, according to ESPN.com. Despite expressing an early interest in Thibodeau, the Sixers only interviewed Jordan and Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Dwane Casey twice. Thibodeau is set to interview with the Sacramento Kings for their head coach vacancy. He helped transform the Celtics into one of the best defensive teams in the NBA.
|Celtics named Professional Sports Team of the Year||05.28.09 at 10:00 pm ET|
The Boston Celtics were honored as the 2009 Professional Sports Team of the Year as part of the Sports Business Awards programs on Thursday in Manhattan. The awards, presented by Street & Smith’s SportsBusiness Journal and SportsBusiness Daily, recognize excellence and outstanding achievement in the sports industry for 2008.
The Celtics were in running for the Professional Sports Team of the Year award against the Chicago Blackhawks, Cleveland Cavaliers, Milwaukee Brewers and Tampa Bay Rays. In addition to winning the 2008 NBA Championship, the Celtics set an attendance record after playing to 100 percent capacity and doubled its full-season ticketholders to more than 10,000.
Winners from 16 categories included:
- Lifetime Achievement ‘ Peter Ueberroth
- Sports Executive of the Year ‘ Dick Ebersol, Chairman, NBC Universal Sports & Olympics
- Athletic Director of the Year ‘ Joe Castiglione, University of Oklahoma
- Professional Sports Team of the Year ‘ Boston Celtics
- Professional Sports League of the Year ‘ National Basketball Association
- Sports Event of the Year ‘ Amp Energy NHL Winter Classic
- Best in Sports Media ‘ ESPN
- Best in Sports Television ‘ NBC Sports
- Best in Digital Sports Media ‘ ESPN Digital Media
- Best in Talent Representation and Management ‘ CAA Sports
- Best in Corporate Consulting, Marketing and Client Services ‘ IMG
- Best in Property Consulting, Sales and Client Services ‘ IMG
- Sports Event Marketing Firm of the Year ‘ GMR Marketing
- Sports Sponsor of the Year ‘ Coca-Cola
- Sports Facility of the Year ‘ Lucas Oil Stadium
- Best in Sports Technology ‘ MLB Advanced Media for MLB At Bat
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason