|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Illinois G Demetri McCamey||06.22.11 at 7:10 am ET|
WEEI.com continues to provide daily insight and analysis on the 2011 NBA draft. This is one in a series of profiles of players who might be available for the Celtics to select with one of their two picks (25th and 55th overall).
Weight: 200 pounds
Stats: 14.6 ppg, 6.1 apg, 3.4 rpg, .451 3pt%
What he brings: McCamey’s simultaneous strengths of strong 3-point shooting and solid passing make him a viable backup for both Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen. He has the size to back down smaller guards and the explosiveness to attack in the lane and get to the hoop. His lack of a mid-range jump shot contributed to his 45 percent shooting inside the arc.
Where the Celtics could get him: Second round
What they’re saying: ‘He can pass. He can shoot and he has mid-range. So that’s really the most difficult thing. … He’s got a big body, so he’s able to get leverage on people not just using speed but using that body. He can see over the top of screens because of his great vision and court awareness.’ ‘ Michigan coach John Beilein
Notes: McCamey scored in double figures 29 times, including seven 20-point games, and was the Illini’s top scorer in a team-leading 16 contests
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason