|NBA to investigate ref’s run-in with Magic fan||05.19.10 at 3:10 pm ET|
The NBA said it will investigate a confrontation that occurred between a fan and veteran referee Joe DeRosa at halftime of the Celtics-Magic game Tuesday night in Orlando.
When DeRosa walked to the scorer’s table with fellow refs Marc Davis and Bill Kennedy, fans starting yelling at the officials. One fan, identified by the Orlando Sentinel a Wyndham Vacation Ownership CEO Franz Hanning, walked up to the table to yell at DeRosa. The ref responded by tossing the game ball to Hanning, who tossed it back. DeRosa then signaled for Amway Arena security, who relocated Hanning to another seat.
NBA spokesman Tim Frank told the Sentinel, “The situation will be reviewed after the game.”
The Sentinel reported that Hanning, 55, is an Orlando resident and an acquaintance of Celtics coach Doc Rivers.
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/9
- State of the Celtics: Jordan Crawford named Eastern Conference Player of...
- Paul Pierce practices, might play tomorrow against Celtics
- An emotional week ahead for the Celtics
- State of the Celtics
- Brad Stevens keeping everyone on an even keel
- It's a laugher: Celtics trounce Knicks 114 - 73