|Celtics confirm injury, apology from Davis||10.27.09 at 5:32 pm ET|
CLEVELAND — The Celtics released their official statement on Tuesday regarding the injury to forward Glen Davis.
The team confirmed the injury and subsequent surgery on his right thumb. The statement, included below, also included an apology from Davis, who did not travel to Cleveland for tonight’s season opener.
The statement from the Celtics:
The Boston Celtics announced today that forward Glen Davis underwent successful surgery to reduce and fix a right thumb fracture. The surgery was performed by Celtics Team Physician, Dr. Brian McKeon and was assisted by Dr. Hervey Kimball and Dr. Drew Terrono at New England Baptist Hospital. Davis is expected to miss the next six weeks.
‘I would first like to apologize to my fans, teammates, coaches and the entire Celtics organization,” Davis said. “I am extremely disappointed that this incident occurred and that it will prevent me from starting the season with the rest of my teammates. My teammates and the entire Celtics organization are extremely important to me and I will do my best to expedite the healing process and be back on the court as soon as possible.”
|Grousbeck talks about Davis and Rondo||at 3:03 pm ET|
Celtics co-owner Wyc Grousbeck just finished up an appearance on ‘The Big Show,’ and touched on a couple of topics, namely Glen Davis and Rajon Rondo (Click here to listen to the complete interview):
Grousbeck confirmed Davis suffered a broken thumb in a recent altercation. Though he did not give a specific timetable for the forward’s return, he did suggest that such injuries ‘are usually not season-threatening. … It’s a broken thumb. I don’t think it’s going to be that long.’
Grousbeck did say that the team expected to ‘suspend or fine’ Davis. Noting that the 23-year-old will be out for some time, Grousbeck suggested that the Celtics planned to sit down with the player and determine an appropriate punishment. ‘I think we’re going to ask him to chip in,’ said Grousbeck.
On why they wouldn’t reveal what happened: ‘I can’t talk to him. He’s post-operative and I’m getting on a plane. It’s just the way it is.’ Read the rest of this entry »
|Shaq on Baby: ‘He’ll be back more focused’||at 1:28 pm ET|
CLEVELAND — Cavaliers superstar center Shaquille O’Neal was asked about his friend Glen Davis, who did not make the trip to Cleveland for the season opener Tuesday night because of a reported broken bone in his right hand following a fight with a former LSU teammate on Sunday night.
“Well they call him Big Baby for a reason, he’s my son,” joked O’Neal, who like Davis starred in basketball at Louisiana State. “A lot of people don’t know that. He’s a great player. I’ve known him since he was a youngster.
“He works hard, has been working hard on his game. It’s an unfortunate incident but one thing about him is he’s a focused individual so he realizes he may have made a mistake so he’ll come back more focused than ever.”
The Cavaliers held a brief shootaround at Quicken Loans Arena on Tuesday morning.
|Wyc: Davis suspension ‘very likely’||at 9:58 am ET|
Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck told Fox 25’s morning show Tuesday that a suspension of injured forward Glen Davis was “very likely” after Davis injured his right hand Sunday night, apparently in an fight with a former college teammate.
Davis showed up at Celtics practice on Monday but was sent for an exam that reportedly revealed a broken bone in his right hand. The team has yet to confirm the nature of the injury or the circumstances of the altercation that resulted in the injury.
Davis re-signed with the Celtics this summer on a two-year, $5 million deal.
|Baby Ok but Scal and TA doubtful for opener||10.23.09 at 5:18 pm ET|
Davis played 16 minutes last Sunday in Toronto, scoring nine points off the bench.
“Scal, his ankle, I don’t expect him to be ready for opening night, but I’m not sure yet,” Rivers said. “Tony is a definite ‘no’ but everybody else is good.”
|Davis rolling up sleeves to roll burritos||at 4:01 pm ET|
On Saturday Glen Davis will roll up his sleeves to roll burritos for a group of Celtics fans at Chipotle Mexican Grill in Cambridge from 3:30-4:30pm. Five WEEI contest winners as well as ten local youth from BELL (Building Educated Leaders for Life) will enjoy lunch courtesy of Big Baby. Davis will also film a promotional video for Chipotle which will air during Celtics home games. All those in attendance will play extras in the video. On Friday the Celtics announced Chipotle Mexican Grill has become an official team partner.
|Rondo and Reserves Propel Celtics over Nets||10.13.09 at 10:57 pm ET|
On Tuesday night, the Celtics overcame a 14-point deficit to defeat the Nets, 91-88, in Newark, N.J., during preseason action (recap here). With Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Ray Allen getting the night off, the Cs were propelled by Rajon Rondo and the reserves.
- Rondo led the Cs with 18 points, 13 assists, and nine rebounds in 40 minutes. This is in contrast to Sunday’s game against the Nets when he posted eight points, three assists and two rebounds in 26 minutes.
- Rasheed Wallace (20 points, 9 rebounds, 25 minutes) was the Celtics‘ driving force in the first half. However, he rolled his right ankle in the third quarter and eventually left the game. Doc Rivers told the media he considers the injury to be mild.
- Eddie House demonstrated his tenacious intensity by fighting for loose balls, forcing jump balls and hitting clutch shots, including a go-ahead jumper with 34 seconds left. He finished the night with 14 points.
- Glen Davis continued to knock down his mid-range jumper en route to 18 points. The Celtics were a game-high plus-12 with Davis on the court.
- J.R. Giddens, whose talent only had been showcased in the D-League, played his best NBA game. He grabbed 13 rebounds and scored seven points.
- Marquis Daniels started the game but left after 15 minutes with a stomach bug.
The Celtics will travel to Hartford to take on the Raptors on Wednesday night.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason