|Doc Rivers: ‘Just glad’ Austin Rivers is playing while Avery Bradley provides ‘great news’||12.05.12 at 8:04 pm ET|
Sometimes Celtics head coach Doc Rivers sounds a lot like Bill Belichick.
Such was the case Wednesday pre-game when he was told that Avery Bradley told reporters he’s “maybe a week or two” from returning to practice after a pair of shoulder surgeries.
“Is that right? That’s great to hear,” Rivers said with a hearty laugh and smile. “I’m very happy to hear the news! Honestly, I didn’t know that because I don’t check. [Trainer Eddie Lacerte] will tell us when it’s time. I don’t focus on that stuff, guys being out. I have to focus on the guys wearing the uniform. With Avery, I talk to him every day and see how he’s doing, and I kid him about it but I don’t really ask.”
Rivers also spoke about his son Austin playing for the New Orleans Hornets, who may be on the verge of changing their name. Names like the Pelicans and Brass have been thrown out there to give the team a more regional flare. “I’m just glad he’s playing,” Rivers said.
On the return of Greg Stiemsma: “I’d love to have him here but I’m happy for him. He took advantage of a great situation, and I’m glad he did. He was terrific here.”
On Kevin Garnett and his impact on the Celtics and Timberwolves: “There’s a Hall of Fame and then there’s a table at the Hall of Fame Kevin has a table at the Hall of Fame”
Rivers said that Leandro Barbosa showed up Wednesday and will dress but is hoping to stay away from playing him as he is still under the weather.
- State of the Celtics: Can Jeff Green be a top two player on a contending...
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/7
- State of the Celtics: Is this team too talented to get a high draft pick?
- Should the Boston Celtics Still be Tanking?
- Kris Humphries Seizing the Moment, Leads Boston Celtics past Denver...
- Despite a scare, Jordan Crawford and the Celtics beat the Nuggets, 106-98
- Celtics hoping to ground the high flying Nuggets