|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Kansas C Jeff Withey||06.13.13 at 9:40 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
Height: 7 feet
Weight: 235 pounds
Achievements: All-Big 12 first team (2013), Consensus All-America second team (2013), NABC Defensive Player of the Year (2013), Big 12 Tournament Most Outstanding Player (2013), Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year (2013, 2012), Big 12 All-Defensive Team (2013, 2012)
Key 2012-13 stats: 13.7 points, 8.5 rebounds, 3.9 blocks
What he brings: Offensively, Withey is most effective when working without the ball, and scores most of his points following a pick and roll or a drive from a guard. According to Draft Express’ scouting report, Withey was the top player in college basketball at scoring efficiency in non-post up situations, with a 79 percent field goal percentage around the basket.
On the defensive end, Withey shines as a shot blocker, swatting 4.9 shots per 40 minutes during the 2012-13 season. However, he has to gain some weight and get stronger in preparation for facing up with the big men in the NBA.
Notes: Withey is a former volleyball player, which has helped him with timing his shot blocks. He was originally committed to Louisville, but switched his commitment to Arizona. When he didn’t see any playing time during his freshman season, he transferred to Kansas and took over as a starter once twin brothers Markieff and Marcus Morris left for the NBA.
Video: Here’s a package of highlights from Withey’s 2012-13 season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...