|Sounds of the game… Celtics 96, Bulls 80||11.01.08 at 12:00 pm ET|
As the Celtics sit in Indianapolis standing 2-0 on the infantile season, let’s take a look back a defensive shutdown performance that had every fan of the Green seeing visions of last year’s title run dancing in their heads more than Gino on Halloween. (Great call, Jessica!)
|First Impressions of Derrick Rose||10.31.08 at 5:19 pm ET|
What can a first pick get you these days in the NBA?
This summer it didn’t seem like much when Derrick Rose struggled at the Orlando Summer League. Tonight, however, he is showing more signs of potential.
Rose is fast so the match up between him and Rajon Rondo is a quick-moving battle to the basket. Both point guards like to drive the lane and Rose has already proved that like Rondo, he isn’t afraid to take on the big guys.
Early in the first quarter Rose drove to the hoop against Kendrick Perkins and drew the fouls. He blocked out “De-riiicck” chants from the crowd to nail both free throws.
Of course you can’t base an opinion on a few minutes of basketball but tonight Rose is coming out strong against the defending champs.
|Celtics Lose, Cuts Loom||10.17.08 at 7:47 pm ET|
Final Score: Knicks 104 – Celtics 97
Eddie House rained threes but that wasn’t enough to fend off the Knicks in the Celtics seven-point loss. House shot 7-for-11 from long range and finished the game with 27 points. Nate Robinson carried the Knicks with 19. A few postgame notes:
- According to Doc Rivers, Rajon Rondo (sprained ankle) could have returned to tonight’s game. He left the young PG out, though, since “he knows how to play.” Rondo is still uncertain for Sunday.
- Cuts are coming, and maybe sooner than expected. Doc Rivers said he wants to cut down his roster sooner rather than later to give player(s) a shot at being picked up being another team. He wants to learn more about three or four players before making his decision.
- Who does Kevin Garnett have the best chemistry with? It’s not Paul Pierce. It’s not Ray Allen either. KG said he has “the best chemistry by far” with Kendrick Perkins. Even though Perk missed the beginning of preseason play with a shoulder injury, Garnett claims the two bigs never missed a beat when he returned and were in constant communication tonight.
The Celtics will hold an open practice for a select group of ticket holders tomorrow in Lowell before taking on the New Jersey Nets on Sunday afternoon in the Garden.
|Coach Cassell in Action||at 5:09 pm ET|
In between the first and second quarter Sam Cassell pulled Kendrick Perkins away from the huddle. The point guard demonstrated post up moves to the center, who scored two points and grabbed three rebounds in the first quarter. Despite their difference in size and position, Cassell has been working out with Perkins during shootarounds as well.
Celtics lead 26-22 after 12 minutes.
|Battle Brewing in Manchester||10.11.08 at 4:57 pm ET|
Paul Pierce asked for the match up and he got it.
With just under 7:30 to go in the first quarter, Pierce drove the lane against Ron Artest. Artest welcomed him at the basket with a blow to the shoulder. No foul was called and the Rockets scored on the fastbreak. Artest pumped his chest as Eddie House and Kendrick Perkins rose to their feet on the Celtics bench to vocalize their disagreement with the no-call.
Moments later, Garnett blocked a Rockets shot that sent the crowd into a frenzy. The noise escalated when Artest dealt a hard foul to Ray Allen that sent the Celtics guard sliding into the front row.
Pierce has left the game with a bruised right shoulder but is expected to return.
All this tension and there is still five minutes to go in the first quarter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?