|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: West Virginia PF Kevin Jones||06.21.12 at 1:18 pm ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2012 NBA draft, we are profiling all players considered likely candidates to be drafted June 28. The Celtics own three picks: 21, 22 (from the Thunder in the Kendrick Perkins trade) and 51.
Position: Power forward
School: West Virginia
Weight: 250 pounds
Achievements: 2012 All-America second team (AP, NABC, USBWA), 2012 All-Big East first team
Key 2011-12 stats: 19.9 points, 10.9 rebounds, 1.2 assists, 1.0 blocks, 50.9 FG%, 38.3 minutes
What he brings: The West Virginia product is a hard worker with surprisingly quick feet despite his lack of fluidity. Jones has a solid mid-range game and makes use of his catch-and-shoot opportunities. The best aspect of his game is his rebounding because of his elite reactionary skills and supreme ability to adjust under the basket. He also possess a solid post game offensively.
Jones isn’t the greatest athlete and sometimes looks awkward on the court. He isn’t really a great defender and doesn’t look like he’ll grow as a prospect either.
All in all, the 22-year-old possess some solid skills on the offensive end, but he probably won’t improve much in the NBA. With that said he should be a solid player off the bench.
Where the Celtics could get him: He’s projected as a late-first-round pick, which is well within the Celtics’ range, although his defensive deficiencies likely wouldn’t sit well with Doc Rivers.
Notes: Jones joined Jerry West as the only two West Virginia players ever to have more than 1,800 points and 1,000 rebounds in their careers. He finished fourth on the school’s all-time rebounding list.
Video: Here’s a highlight mix of Jones.
- Doc Rivers Triumphant in Return Against Boston Celtics: Highlights &...
- Doc Rivers Tears Up in Post Game Press Conference After His Los Angeles...
- Doc Rivers Moves On, Brad Stevens Pushes Forward - Torch Passed In Boston
- Doc has his day, C's fall to Clips 88-96
- Boston Celtics' Moving Tribute Video to Doc Rivers at TD Garden
- Doc Rivers On His Exit: 'I Didn't Like The Way It Played Out'
- Reunion week part 2 - Doc Rivers returns to the Garden with his Clippers...