|How close is Jermaine O’Neal to being a Hall of Famer?||09.08.11 at 1:31 pm ET|
When former Boston College and current Suns forward Jared Dudley tweeted on Wednesday, “Jermaine O’Neal look like J.O. from the Pacers,” it got me thinking: He’s no Bill Russell, but just how close is O’Neal to being a Hall of Fame player?
Now, this is not an argument for O’Neal’s Hall of Fame candidacy. Repeat: This is not an argument for O’Neal’s Hall of Fame candidacy. It’s simply an examination of how surprisingly close the 32-year-old center is to knocking on Springfield’s door.
- His six straight NBA All-Star appearances from 2002-07 are more than Hall of Fame centers Bob McAdoo (5), Wes Unseld (5) and Walt Bellamy (4).
- His 0.425 NBA MVP Award shares ranks No. 55 in history, higher than 42 Hall of Fame players — including former Celtics center Robert Parish (0.286).
- He has ranked in the top 10 for a single season in blocks seven times and rebounds four times.
- His 1,659 blocked shots (since 1973-74) puts him No. 24 all-time. Of the 15 Hall of Fame eligible players with more career blocks, nine made it. Of the six that didn’t, only Larry Nance had more than 7,000 points.
- His career defensive rating (since 1977-78) of 99.93 ranks No. 44 in history, placing him higher than defensive stalwarts Dennis Rodman (100.26) or Scottie Pippen (101.51) on that list.
- His career player efficiency rating of 18.23 places him No. 117 in history, between surefire Hall of Fame point guard Jason Kidd (18.25) and Hall of Fame Celtics guard Bill Sharman (18.18)
THE CONS Read the rest of this entry »
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason