|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Duke C Mason Plumlee||06.20.13 at 11:29 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
Height: 7 feet
Weight: 235 pounds
Achievements: Consensus All-America second team (2013), All-ACC first team (2013), Pete Newell Big Man Award (2013)
Key 2012-13 stats: 17.1 points, 10.0 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.4 blocks
What he brings: Plumlee does not project as an NBA star, but he has the size and defensive skill to make an impact off the bench. He is among the best defensive rebounders in the draft, as he averaged 7.2 defensive rebounds per game last season. While he has the size and leaping ability to be strong on the defensive glass, he has to improve his lateral quickness to be a strong defender at the NBA level.
Offensively, his points per game increased every year he was at Duke, going from 10.4 points per 40 minutes his freshman year to 19.7 points per 40 minutes his senior year. He uses his ability to get up and down the court without the ball to be effective offensively, while his post game consists of mainly hook shots.
Notes: He is the brother of Miles Plumlee, who was drafted with the 26th overall pick last year by the Pacers. His younger brother, Marshall Plumlee, is entering his sophomore season at Duke in the fall. … Plumlee was an Academic All-American as a junior and senior.
Video: Here is a highlight mix of Plumlee’s senior season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...