|Irish Coffee: Celtics’ Rajon Rondo > Knicks’ Jeremy Lin||03.05.12 at 9:01 am ET|
As crazy — sorry, Linsane — as the worldwide Jeremy Lin phenomenon has become in the NBA, Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo made a profound statement against the Harvard graduate: How do you like them apples?
Rondo amassed 20 assists, 18 points and 17 rebounds for the first time since Wilt Chamberlain recorded a double triple-double in 1968, leading the C’s to a 115-111 overtime win over Lin’s Knicks on national television.
“I saved the [box score], just as a witness that I was here, and I actually got to see this up front and center,” said Kevin Garnett. “The thing about Lin is I think everybody who’s at the point guard position is going to be excited to play the kid, and Rondo was nothing short of that today. I could see it. I could tell. I’ve been around him long enough to know when he’s motivated and when he’s more than motivated, and tonight was one of those nights.”
It takes a lot to impress Garnett, but Rondo’s performance was one that’s never been seen before in KG’s 16-plus NBA seasons. It was also more than a subtle reminder where Lin ranks in the point guard pantheon.
“He’s just unconventional, but like I said before the game, he’s one of the best in the league, and so you saw a stat line tonight — there aren’t many guards, maybe no guard, who can put up something like that,” said Lin. “We didn’t do a good job of containing him, and he obviously controlled the tempo of the game.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...