|Irish Coffee: Ray Allen 3-Point Timeline||02.10.11 at 1:46 pm ET|
Wake up with the Celtics and your daily dose of Irish Coffee ‘¦
In case you haven’t heard, Ray Allen trails Reggie Miller by one 3-pointer for the NBA’s all-time record of 2,560 career treys. Considering he’ll likely surpass Miller against the Lakers on Thursday night, what better time than now to create the Ray Allen 3-Point Timeline?
- Nov. 1, 1996 (Bucks 111, 76ers 103): Allen made the first 3-pointer of his NBA career.
- Nov. 2, 2000 (Rockets 114, Bucks 93): Allen made the 500th 3-pointer of his NBA career.
- Jan. 1, 2003 (Bucks 106, Cavaliers 94): Allen made the 1,000th 3-pointer of his NBA career.
- Jan. 11, 2005 (Sonics 104, Clippers 99): Allen made the 1,361st 3-pointer of his NBA career, passing Dan Majerle for fifth on the all-time list.
- Nov. 9, 2005 (Cavaliers 112, Sonics 85): Allen made the 1,500th 3-pointer of his NBA career.
- Dec. 13, 2005 (Warriors 110, Sonics 107): Allen made the 1,543rd 3-pointer of his NBA career, passing Tim Hardaway for fourth on the all-time list.
- Dec. 20, 2005 (Suns 111, Sonics 83): Allen made the 1,560th 3-pointer of his NBA career, passing Glen Rice for third on the all-time list.
- April 7, 2006 (Sonics 121, Trail Blazers 108): Allen made the 1,720th 3-pointer of his NBA career, passing Dale Ellis for second on the all-time list.
- Jan. 5, 2008 (Celtics 92, Pistons 85): Allen made the 2,000th 3-pointer of his NBA career.
- Dec. 25, 2010 (Orlando 86, Celtics 78): Allen made the 2,500th 3-pointer of his NBA career.
When Allen had a chance to tie or surpass a milestone or a top-five 3-point shooter, he generally accelerated past them. In fact, the only time he had the chance to set a new milestone but didn’t was the night before he eclipsed 2,000, finishing 0-for-3 that evening.
Given a chance to pass those milestones, Allen finished 35-for-70 (50.0 percent) from 3-point range in those games. He also averaged 23.5 points under those circumstances.
With 1,540 3-pointers in his NBA career thus far, Paul Pierce needs just seven to pass Hardaway and Jones for 10th on the all-time list. Oh, Avery Bradley and Kendrick Perkins have a shot at sinking the first 3-pointer of their NBA careers. Allen has just 236 fewer career 3-point baskets than the entire rest of the Celtics team combined.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Why Celtics Will Be Better Than Expected in 2014-15
- Should Celtics Fans Buy or Sell Rondo's Hot Start?
- Lessons Learned from Celtics so Far
- Why Green Will Finally Succeed in Boston
- C's Big Offense Showing a Sign of Things to Come?
- Green's Transition to PF Could Reshape NBA Career Arc
- Could Rondo's Play Increase the Chances He's Dealt?