|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: French C Rudy Gobert||06.26.13 at 5:52 am ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2013 NBA draft, here is one in a series of profiles of players who could be available to the Celtics when they make their lone selection at No. 16.
Team: Cholet Basket (France)
Weight: 238 pounds
Achievements: All-French ProA Honorable Mention (2013)
Key 2012-13 stats: 8.1 points, 5.0 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, 21.4 minutes
What he brings: The first thing that should be noted about Gobert is his freakish height and reach. Gobert’s 7-foot, 8½-inch wingspan and 9-foot, 7-inch standing reach are NBA combine records, and he has the physical tools to be an effective NBA center. That size helps him rebound, as he averaged 9.3 boards per 40 minutes last season.
Gobert can move well, which helps him as an effective pick-and-roll defender. His size makes him effective around his own rim, and he has good instincts as a shot-blocker.
However, Gobert is not a good shooter, and he struggles if he does not finish at the rim. While he is big, he needs to get stronger if he is going to be effective at scoring around the basket in the NBA.
Notes: Gorbert’s father, Rudy Bourgarel, played basketball at Marist College from 1985-88 before playing professionally in France. He played on the 1988 French Olympic team. … Rudy shares an agent with Trail Blazers forward Nicholas Batum, who also is from France.
Video: Here is a highlight mix of Gobert.
- Let the countdown begin: Rondo 10-14 days away from meeting with Dr....
- Boston Celtics Daily Links 12/4
- Early conclusions after 20 games
- Jared Sullinger Drawing the Double Team and Assessing the Boston Celtics...
- Jordan Crawford Does it Again, Boston Celtics beat Milwaukee Bucks...
- Boston Celtics respond with a win, beat Milwaukee Bucks, 108-100
- Jeff Green Latest to Shoot Down Boston Celtics Tanking Talk