|Shaq: Celtics are a ‘damn good’ team||10.27.09 at 2:01 pm ET|
CLEVELAND – Shaquille O’Neal acknowledged on Tuesday morning that the Cavaliers will have their hands full with the Celtics, not just tonight but all season.
“A lot of teams made a lot of moves,” O’Neal said. “They’re the former champs and really didn’t have a chance to defend their crown because Mr. Garnett was hurt during the postseason. We know they’re going to be ready. We know a lot of other teams will be ready. It’s not going to be easy for us but we accept all challenges.”
O’Neal may have been quite formal but all pleasantries will likely end tonight as Garnett and the Celtics feel they have something to prove to the Cavaliers and the rest of the Eastern Conference.
O’Neal is just looking to fit in and begin meshing with another star by the name of LeBron.
“Very excited but you learn not to get too excited,” O’Neal said. “It’s a long season. I’ve been around every situation imaginable. We know what we have to do. We know we’re going up against a damn good opponent. We just have to try to keep our poise and play hard and hopefully, we can get started on the right foot.”
O’Neal has been a lightning rod in his most recent stops around the league, stops included Miami and most-recently Phoenix.
“Difference here is I’ve been inserted into a really good team,” O’Neal said. “So, my role is going to be a little different and I accept that. I’m not really coming here to stir things up, just come in here and be the piece they were missing. The whole world realizes they were just one piece away and hopefully, I’m that piece.”
- Rotoworld's Steve Alexander's mock: Celtics pick Mason Plumlee
- Boston Celtics Daily Links - 5/22
- Sporting News' Sean Deveney's mock: Celtics pick Tim Hardaway, Jr.
- Bleacher Report's Tyler Conway's mock: Celtics pick James Franklin
- Bleacher Report's Jonathan Wasserman's mock: Celtics pick Steven Adams
- CBS' Matt Moore's mock: Celtics pick Kelly Olynyk
- Chris Mannix mock has Celtics pick Gorgui Dieng