|Is Shaquille O’Neal Turkey-bound?||12.08.10 at 12:54 pm ET|
“Besiktas Cola Turka management has rolled up their sleeves to bring another NBA superstar to Istanbul. Besiktas fans and management, who are very pleased with the arrival of Allen Iverson, have now set their sights on luring Boston Celtics center Shaquille O’Neal overseas.”
According to the story, Iverson’s manager Gary Moore, who is also in “constant contact” with Shaq, “could be an intermediary in securing an agreement” for next season.
I, for one, am not buying it. Sure, this Turkish team might want Shaq on its team. Why wouldn’t they? It would mean millions of dollars in business for them. They probably want LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Kobe Bryant to play for them, too.
But Shaq will be under contract for the Celtics next season, and his entire mantra since he arrived in Boston has revolved around getting a fifth — or even sixth — championship ring to cement his legacy. He can’t do that as a member of Besiktas Cola Turka.
UPDATE: Besiktas general manager Seref Yalcin is claiming that Shaq told him, “I want to be champion this season with Boston. But I’m coming to Turkey next year,” according to a website called Hoopsnotes.
Still not buying it. Shaq says al lot of things with his tongue planted firmly in his cheek, and I’m guessing something got lost in translation here.
|An NBA Turkey Day Special||11.25.10 at 8:00 am ET|
On this Thanksgiving Day special, we give you the top five NBA players ever to hail from Turkey. Get it? Turkey? Thanksgiving? Turkish players have had a long and storied history in the league, only the exact opposite. It may be a reach, but it’s also pretty awesome when you think about it. You get to say names like Ersan Ilyasova. Without further ado …
5. Chicago Bulls 7-foot rookie center Omer Asik (O-mair A-sheek): Averaging 3.3 points and 0.8 points per game in 12 career appearances.
4. Boston Celtics 7-foot rookie center Semih Erden (Seh-MEE EHRD-ehn): Averaging 3.4 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11 career appearances.
3. Milwaukee Bucks 6-foot-10 third-year forward Ersan Ilyasova (ER-sahn Ill-ee-uh-SOH-vuh): Averaging 8.3 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in 160 career appearances.
2. Utah Jazz 6-foot-11 nine-year veteran center Mehmet Okur (MEM-et Oh-KUHR): Averaging 13.9 points and 7.2 rebounds in 604 career appearances.
The fist pump at the end of the Mehmet Okur commerical is amazing. Quick programming note: Irish Coffee will return on Monday morning. In the meantime, don’t forget to consume a few actual irish coffees over the Thanksgiving holiday break. Good times.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Isaiah Thomas to Play vs. Wizards After Missing 2 Games with Knee Injury
- Ray Allen Not Invited to Rajon Rondo's NBA Title Celebration After...
- Isaiah Thomas Will Miss Next 2 Games for Celtics with Knee Injury
- Al Horford, Avery Bradley Out vs. Suns with Elbow, Hamstring Injuries
- Avery Bradley Returns from Achilles Injury for Celtics vs. Hawks
- Isaiah Thomas Criticizes DeMarre Carroll for Flagrant Foul in Celtics vs...