|How Rondo is like Brett Favre||01.26.10 at 9:57 pm ET|
WALTHAM — Celtics coach Doc Rivers wants his supremely talented point guard to get downright defensive.
Rivers has spent the last three years trying to instill in Rajon Rondo the kind of traits Rivers used to gain a reputation as one of the best defensive guards in the NBA in the 1980s.
Right now, Rivers knows the reputation Rondo has around the league. Go at Rondo and make him try to stop you, since defense hasn’t always come naturally for the guard. On Tuesday, following practice, Rivers drew a analogy between Rondo and another pro athlete.
“I think teams try to go at Rondo because of his size and because they want to try and get him to gamble,” Rivers said. “It’s like trying to make Brett Favre try and throw across his body. It’s who you are, and teams know that and try to take advantage of that.”
[Click here to hear Doc Rivers talk about how defense led to Rondo's development into a possible All-Star]
Like Favre on Sunday with an ill-advised cross-body pass that was picked, Rondo’s season came to a bitter end in Game 7 last spring against the Orlando Magic, a game in which some critics felt Rondo hurt the team by constantly gambling for steals instead of playing solid defense on Orlando’s dangerous backcourt. Read the rest of this entry »
- Chris Mannix mock has Celtics pick Gorgui Dieng
- SBNation Mock Draft: Celtics pick ...Tony Mitchell?
- Mock draft watch: Who the experts say the Boston Celtics will pick in the...
- Lawyer interview about Terrence Williams case
- NBA Mock draft watch: Who the experts say the Boston Celtics will pick in...
- 2013 NBA Draft Prospect Profile: Mason Plumlee
- NBA Draft Lottery: Cleveland Cavs get top pick, Washington Wizards move...