|NBA Draft’s Potential Celtics: Memphis SG/SF Will Barton||06.25.12 at 1:12 pm ET|
As part of WEEI.com’s coverage of the 2012 NBA draft, we are profiling all players considered likely candidates to be drafted June 28. The Celtics own three picks: 21, 22 (from the Thunder in the Kendrick Perkins trade) and 51.
Position: Shooting guard/small forward
Weight: 175 pounds
Achievements: 2012 Conference USA Player of the Year, 2011 All-Conference USA third team, 2011 Conference USA All-Freshman team
Key 2011-12 stats: 18.0 points, 50.9 FG%, 8.0 rebounds
What he brings: Barton has long strides that allow him to traverse the court quickly, and he can power his way past defenders to get to the net. He shot 50.9 percent from the field, but his 3-point shooting can be improved. He converted 34.6 percent of his tries from the arc.
At 6-foot-6 and 175 pounds Barton isn’t small, but he’s not the strongest player on the court. He’s very skinny, which may be a concern for some teams.
Where the Celtics could get him: Barton is expected to be picked late in the first round or early in the second.
Notes: Barton, who is from Baltimore, prepped one season in New Hampshire at Brewster Academy, leading the team to a 35-4 record and the 2010 national prep title. … He is leaving Memphis after two seasons.
Video: Here’s a lengthy package of highlights of Barton.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Austin Ainge Offers Window to C's Pre-Draft Process
- Trade Possibilities for C's with Draft Approaching
- Latest Buzz Surrounding Jamal Crawford, Kristaps Porzingis, Celtics'...
- Latest NBA Trade Rumors, Buzz
- Ranking Celtics' Biggest NBA Draft Needs
- Buzz Surrounding Ty Lawson, Celtics Draft Plans and More
- Realistic Targets for Celtics to Chase During Offseason